What are working buttons/Functioning buttons?
This refers to the buttons on the sleeves of a jacket, coat or suit being constructed in such a way as to allow for the sleeve cuffs to open up and the sleeves to be folded up.
When a suit jacket or blazer has working sleeve buttons (functioning or actuating buttons on the sleeve), the wearer is able to undo the buttons and let the sleeve cuffs drape loosely or is able to fold the sleeves away from the hand.
This is a great functionality to have, especially on snug fit jackets and suits or when working in a wet environment and not wanting to wit the coat sleeves.
Actuating sleeve buttons were introduced by the medical profession back during the crimean wars when medical work was very messy and good suits were getting spoiled by the blood and gore that doctors had to work with.
Working or functioning buttons are created by hand, by embroidering or crocheting tight stitches (usually with linen or silk thread) over a knob or ring called a form.
Other commonly asked questions about Accessories , Special Requests, Monogrammes, Optionals, Trimmings
- What is the ready to wear Category?
- What are Rope Shoulders? Can you do Rope Shoulders on suits?
- Can I order shirts with contrast collars and cuffs? Can you make shirts with white collars and white cuffs?
- Do you make Non - Shatnez and Halacha compliant clothing?
- What material do you use for linings?
- What are hand stitched lapels and pockets?
- What are the Special Requests for Suits or Shirts that I can add to my order?
- I want corporate logo, personal logo on the garments I Order.
- Do you do removable collar stays on shirts?
- Can I order detachable Collars on my shirts?
- How and Where do I choose Neckties or Cufflinks?
- I want half lined or fully lined pants, I want half lined or fully lined Jackets. I like removable collar stays in my shirts. Is this possible?
- I would like Monogrammes, I want working sleeve buttons, I want hand stitched/pick stitched Lapels. Is this possible?
- What is Hand Basted Full Canvas Front ?
- What Monogramme styles are available for choosing? How do I indicate this?